When a sewage backup occurs, a lot of home and business owners are motivated to try to clean up the spill on their own. Armed with a mop, bucket and perhaps some bleach, tackling a sewage cleanup might seem within the capabilities of DIY-ers who wish to save some money and deal with the problem faster. The truth, however, is that water damage cleanup is best left to the pros–especially when the job involves a sewage spill.
Unlike other incidents in the home, sewage backups not only involve more demanding cleanup protocols, but they also pose some serious threats. You and your family should stay as far away from the site of the spill as possible and leave it to the pros, here are a few reasons why:
Raw sewage permanently damages property if it is not cleaned up correctly. Clogs also originate from deep within the plumbing; attempts to fix these clogs improperly can triple the problems. This is why professional sewage cleanup crews operate according to strict standards, minimizing further damage, unclogging pipes to get to the root of the issue, and preventing it from happening again.
While a sewage clog can cause serious damage to personal property, it is important to clearly recognize the health risks from contact with raw sewage. Many people now know about the dangers that come with mold problems, but raw sewage cleanup is even riskier. When it comes to water damage in your home, getting professional help is always a good idea, but for raw sewage cleanup, it can be vital to protecting your family’s health. Raw sewage contains countless amounts of pathogens, bacteria and even parasites, which can be absorbed by physical contact or breathing in the air immediately surrounding the spill. This can cause various diseases such as:
With so many serious health problems that can come from dealing with raw sewage, you can see why it’s so important to find a professional who’s received proper training to handle the situation. By incorrectly disposing of sewage, home and business owners put themselves in direct contact with various health risks and can even spread it throughout the building if they are not careful.