According to the CDC, exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation.
Mold can affect breathing, irritate mucous membranes, suppress the immune system, and cause excessive coughing, sneezing, and headaches. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.
The Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children.
So of course you will want to remove any mold growth from your home. Ironically, you may cause even more health problems when you attempt to clean up your mold problems. When you use bleach to clean up mold:
The most effective shower mold cleaners have shown to be baking soda, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, ammonia, borax, and even detergent. Use a brush or sponge, scrub vigorously until the black mold is gone, and then dry the area thoroughly.
A bleach and water solution is the DIY “go to” for mold removal, but while it may look and smell as if it is gone, bleach itself does not kill mold. To effectively rid your home of mold contamination, it’s best to call in mold remediation specialists. Experts in mold remediation will assess the type of mold growing and the level of toxicity it contains. After all, some mold may be black in color, but may not qualify as being the toxic risk of actual “black mold.”
Following an assessment, the MA Restoration mold removal specialist can advise you on the best course of action for removing the mold, as well as how to reduce or eliminate the source of the moisture problem. For example, the indoor humidity should be lowered by using fans and portable dehumidification equipment. If the outside air is dryer than the inside, they will ventilate the building. Closets, cabinets, and doors between rooms should be opened to enhance circulation of air. Fans should be used to increase air movement (unless the air ducts were covered with water during the incident.)
During the COVID-19 epidemic, MA Restoration in Framingham is open providing Emergency Services for businesses & homeowners that are experiencing water, fire, sewer, and mold damage removal. We are continuing to uphold CDC guidelines to protect our customers and staff to do our part in preventing the spread of the virus. Employees are required to stay home if there is any sign of illness, trucks & equipment are wiped down daily, social distancing is being practiced, and proper PPE is worn.
When you experience water damage in your home, count on our mold removal experts for immediate assistance; they will help you recover from a disaster. The team, their equipment, and their expertise are ready at a moment’s notice.