Water damage is not good for your health, especially when it comes to mold growth and toxic fumes. Here are 4 reasons why:
Water damage can cause a lot of issues with your health, not just in the short term but also in the long-term. The most common problem that you will experience is mold. This is a growing problem and there are many people who are suffering from it. If you want to know more about this problem and how you can get rid of it, then keep on reading this article.
Mold thrives in moist environments. As such, it can be found in any home that has been exposed to water damage. Mold spores are microscopic and can easily be inhaled. While some people may not experience any negative effects from inhaling mold spores, others may have allergic reactions or other breathing problems.
Mold can also cause property damage to your home or office space if left untreated. Not only does mold make surfaces look dirty and unappealing (which will affect the resale value of your property), but it also causes wood structures to deteriorate faster than normal. In severe cases, toxic molds can cause illness or death for those with compromised immune systems who come into contact with them regularly over time (elderly people living alone).
Allergies can be triggered by mold or mildew. If you have allergies and are exposed to mold or dust mites, your body may have an allergic reaction. Dust mites like to live in damp places like carpets, so wet carpets are a common source of allergic reactions for those with asthma. Dust mites also trigger itchy eyes and runny noses in some people who suffer from allergies.
Although it’s not a common occurrence, some people may experience respiratory problems as a result of water damage. This can be caused by mold and mildew growth in the air ducts of your home or office building. When you’re exposed to these spores, they can trigger asthma or breathing issues and other allergic reactions. Notice that you’re coughing, sneezing, or having nasal congestion after being exposed to wet air for an extended period of time. This may be one indication that there’s something more serious going on than just some damaged property around you.
Even if you don’t have a moldy home, the presence of water damage can cause other health problems. The reason for this is the way in which mold grows. Mold spores are extremely tiny and float through the air easily. In an environment that has been flooded with water, they will attach themselves to any dry surface they come into contact with, including your walls and floors. As these spores continue to reproduce over time, they create colonies of mold which can grow into large patches on your walls or floorboards.
These molds produce volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can irritate your eyes and nose as well as trigger allergic reactions in some individuals. Additionally, VOCs are known to cause respiratory issues when inhaled by people who suffer from asthma or other respiratory problems such as chronic bronchitis or emphysema.
If you need a reminder, remember: water damage is bad for your health. Do what you can to prevent it and learn how to respond to it when it happens. Your health, and the health of your family and pets, may depend on it. If you have any questions or think that you might need a water restoration company in Worcester call MA Restoration today.